The word from the nutritionist
What to do in case of punctures of bees, wasps and hornets?
The summer is coming and now it is time to sea, sun and trips in open air, but unfortunately it is also time to deal with the insect bites.
But, why the insects bite us? The motivations are different and depend on the kind of insects. In case of horseflies, mosquitoes, ticks and fleas, the puncture (that is not painful) is made to allow them to nourish. Bees, wasp and bumblebees, instead, prick only only for defense. In particular the bees are not particularly aggressive and attack the human only if they feel directly threatened, if the beehive is disturbed or if someone interfere with their flight paths. The wasps are more aggressive and can be particular particularly annoying during picnics and barbecue because they are attracted by meats, fruits and sweets.
How to avoid to be bite?
- periodically verify that in your house there are not nests of insects.
- if you are near to bees, wasps and bumblebees you avoid sudden movements with your hands and cries ; it is prefer to get away slowly.
- don't use parfume, shampoo and hair spray with an intense aroma.
- don't wear clothes or bag coloured or floureal fantasy that can attract the insects.
- don't walk barefoot in the grasses
- stay distan from gardens, fruit trees and waste bins
- pay attention to cans or bottles left open that can attract the insects.
- travel in car with windows closed
What have to do if you are bited, ? What is the difference from an allergic response and a not allegic ones? The not allergic response generate swelling (that can increase within 24 hours after the bite), intense smarting, pruritus and pain. In these cases it is useful keep ice or soak in cold water th part of the body affected by the punctures, in this way you can anesthetize the injured part and slow down the absorption of the poison. After this operation you can apply a lotion with cortisone or an antihistamine cream, or natural remedies produced with herbs that have an anti-inflammatory action, as Aloe and Calendula.
The allergic response is characterised by typical symptoms as hives, difficulty breathing, chest pain and reduction of blood pressure. The people with a confirmed allergy to insects bites have to take always with them antihistamines. In any event it is always better to go to the emergency also if you are not allergic in order to control that thera are not bites into your mouth, your nose or your eyes.
Published 01 June 2019